Sunday, July 18, 2010

Learning Curves

Yeah, I'd like to talk about this learning curve problem.

For me, I'm pretty certain I'm not too used to feeling competent. I wish I could say that's the case, but with attention-deficit issues, I've spent most of my life feeling incompetent.

For me, it's an issue of time.

After 50, I'm aware that I no longer have half or more of my life ahead of me to correct for mistakes.

I also have over 50 years behind me in which I've learned a lot about myself.

For example, if I've been trying for 50 years to multitask and I've never done it well, I can pretty accurately predict that I'm not going to be good at it now. If I can accomplish something in another way, I'll do so. Not because my brain synapses are less flexible, but because I have long years of personal evidence and I know me better than I ever did. I know what works and what doesn't.

Add to that, at today's speed of technology, I wonder if any skill I train for now will be relevant two years from now. And two years matters more now than it did when I was 30.

Learning curves will never end, and I wouldn't even want them to. But I can choose which ones are right for me.

I look for training with at least one of the following characteristics:
  • enjoyment of the material itself
  • reasonable expectation that I can use and profit from my training immediately
  • reasonable expectation that I can transfer my basic learning to another role if the specific role I trained for becomes obsolete

No comments:

Post a Comment